Tracking the LRT, link to article
If you don’t have the time to read the article, here are my five takeaways:
- A consultant was hired to conduct a 3-million dollar planning, design and engineering study for a 16-kilometre, east-west track throught the downtown and write a preliminary design report.
- The preliminary design report will show what the system looks like from types of trains to station locations
- City staff are planning for transit oriented development (TOD) – compact, higher density, mixed use development near transit stations
- One example of TOD is the plans for “Eastgate village” which include a transit station, pedestrian oriented retail promenade, new high- and medium-density residential development and prominent green space
- Sounds like a lot of investment is being planned to attract people to these TOD’s, I think owning properties in and around these areas would be ideal.Â However, I would wait till they actually break ground on the LRT or BRT.Â Or if you want to play offense, find yourself a cashflowing property in the area of these proposed stations.