Click here to download the most recent report on the LRT from the city of Hamilton Ontario.
The report explains key benefits of rapid transit including stimulating the economy, revitalization, improving quality of life, and environmental benefits.
Here are some of the included maps:
B-Line: highest priority, three stations: McMaster Univ, downtown, and Eastgate Square (I’d like to see one more at Ottawa St)
A-Line: Second highest priority, four stations from Waterfront, to downtown, to Mohawk/St Joe’s Hospital, Hamilton Internaltional Airport.Â If you know the topography of Hamilton, you would figure there will be issues for a rail vehicle to climb/descend the mountain…
Don’t have time to read the report?Â Here is my summary and takeaways:
- Don’t let the proposed James North Go Train station go unnoticed. The plan is for a station by 2014 as part of the plan to run a regular Go Train between Union Station in downtown Toronto all the way to Niagara Falls.Â This neighbourhood has already undergone much regentrification and is becoming a more desireable place to live.
- “increasing land value – by 8 – 14% within 800m of the line and particularly within close proximity to station areas”Â I don’t buy it.Â Stick to areas close to proposed stations.
- Jobs – 6,000 construction jobs would be created plus over 1,000 ongoing jobs for regular operations and maintenance
- Promote higher value, higher density areas which will attract private investments and increase assessment values
- Revitalization of the older, tougher neighbourhoods.Â Make downtown more attractive.Â Bring more people down to the under utilized waterfront
- Reduce car traffic, make Hamilton more accessible, reducing car collisions
- Reduce air pollution (LRT trains are electric), a transit rider creates 65% less greenhouse gases
- Notice the location of all the proposed stations?Â That’s where I’m focused on in locating rental properties for my investor clients.Â If that’s something that interests you please feel free to reach out to me.
Till next time – Live life on your terms.
Real Estate Investment Adviser
p: 416-848-6293 x 211