Hello Real Estate Investors in Hamilton Ontario!!
How was your weekend?!??!
Here’s how mine went! (It was actually the weekend before but this is the first chance I’ve had to sit down and blog :))
I have a fear of heights.
Whenever I’m a few storeys up, I always peak over the edge and thoughts come to my head about scenarios where I could fall off. If you too have a fear of heights, I’m sure you can relate. To give you an idea of how irrational my fear of heights is, on my last visit to the CN Tower observation area, I could not take a step on the glass floor. Touch it with my toe I could. Observe the children running all over it and seeing todlers crawl on it, sure. That and the clean track record of zero injuries related to the glass floor still wasn’t convincing enough for me to take that step.
Fast forward to Friday and I’m doing this:
- Hanging out on a platform 356 meters (or 1170 feet) above the Observation are of the CN Tower
- I’ve never been one to worry but this day was definetly on my mind
- After I was strapped in and confident the safety harness and ropes would hold me, I walked out on the platform, took a look at the West, the Toronto Island Airport, then DOWN at the open Skydome (sorry Rogers Center)
- The first words out of my mouth honestly were “holy shit!”
- I wasn’t prepared for this at all but I got pretty comfortable and was able to relax and do silly stuff like in the above photo.
- Of course I couldn’t have done this without our guide Christie who walked us through each step and demostrated how to “hang out” over Toronto
- Can’t recommend this enough, learn more about the CN Tower Edgewalk here: http://www.edgewalkcntower.ca/
After walking on the edge, we went for dinner at Real Sports followed by this:
- Behind the plate seats at the Skydome (sorry again Rogers)
- Jays vs the New York (Boo!) Yankees
- I brought a friend with me who had never been to a Jays game so why not: great seats, against the best team in the AL, with former Cy Young award winner CC Sabathia on the mount
Saturday Morning, 8am, when you were home sleeping in your warm bed while it was maybe 10 degrees out, here’s what I was up to:
- Running my first ever race, a 5km race benefiting Sick Children’s Hospital
- I’m always busy and full of excuses not to train, so I trained twice total the week leading up to the race
- Official Race Time: 28:25, not bad for a first time and for not having trained. I figure I can complete the race in under 25 mins within a few months if I trained properly. (For anyone who thinks I’m slow feel free to challenge me to a 100 meter dash 🙂
Not your typical relaxing weekend but I guess that’s how I roll. I face my fears and test my limits on a semi regular basis but I have fun in between. What have you done recently to face your fears and test your limits? I meet new real estate investors every day and I am grateful to be their guide as they face their fears of investing for the first time and test their limits by starting a business (yes, investing in real estate is a business). This business is not for the faint at heart but it certainly gets easier with experience.
Two-Way, Full-Day GO Train Coming To Hamilton
Premier Dalton McGuinty said “We’re committed to having two-way, full-day service seven days a week, and we will have it in place for Hamilton in time for the Pan Am Games, which means job creation will get an immediate boost because work will be getting started soon.” Full article here or stayed with for me for my summary and analysis!
- Pan Am Games is in 2015 and if you’ve folllowed my blog, you know we’re expecting the Go Stations to be ready by 2014.
- New stations in Hamilton will be at James St N and and Confederation Station
- Not sure where these stations are supposed to go? Check this previous post.
- Go Stations are great and have an impact on real estate values in the immediate area but if the City and Province wants to attract employers and investment in Hamilton – LRT is your answer.
- sidenote – interesting how this press release gets political in the 2nd half about what the other parties did with transit….
Till next blog post – happy investing everyone!!
Erwin | MrHamilton.ca
PS: If you would an on-the-ground tour of Hamilton and select investment properties please let me know (email Maria and she’ll set it up: Maria (at) MrHamilton.ca)
PPS: sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss out out on what’s going on in Hamilton!!